Kerala Convention Centre Blast: Kochi Resident Surrenders After Explosion at Christian Prayer Meeting in Kalamassery; Another Fatality Reported

Kerala Convention Centre Blast: Kochi Resident Surrenders After Explosion at Christian Prayer Meeting in Kalamassery; Another Fatality Reported

Kochi : In a significant development, an individual hailing from Kochi has voluntarily surrendered to the Kerala Police, taking responsibility for the explosive incident at a convention center in Kalamassery on Sunday. The sources have confirmed this claim.

The individual who claimed responsibility for the explosion surrendered at the Trissur police station. According to the accused, he planted the bomb that resulted in the tragic death of a woman and left 40 others injured, with seven of them in critical condition.

The police are currently conducting an investigation into this matter, and it is worth noting that the individual voluntarily presented himself to the authorities. Further details regarding this development are yet to be revealed.

In response to this incident, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has called for an all-party meeting in the state capital, Thiruvananthapuram, on Monday to address the unfolding situation.

The investigation into the series of bomb blasts that occurred during a Christian prayer meeting at the Kalamassery Convention Centre in Kerala on Sunday has unveiled the use of an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) concealed in a tiffin box, suggesting a possible act of terrorism. It's worth noting that approximately 2,000 people had gathered for the prayer event at the convention center at the time of the explosions.

A four-member team from the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) in Kochi was dispatched to the scene, with sources confirming that a team from NIA New Delhi is en route to take over the investigation.

The incident involved multiple explosions during the meeting of Jehovah Witness Believers and occurred around 9 a.m. The convention hall was sealed, and the Kerala Police Anti-Terror Squad was deployed to the site.

All the injured individuals have been transferred to the Government Medical College Hospital in Kalamassery for medical attention.

Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has described the incident as "very unfortunate" and stressed that all aspects of the situation will be thoroughly investigated. He has deputed the state Cooperation Minister V.N. Vasavan to the site for assessment.

CPI (M) State Secretary M.V. Govindan emphasized that the possible terrorist angle should be carefully examined in this incident.

Dominic Martin, a former member of Jehovah's Witnesses who is now in police custody, released a video taking responsibility for the act.

The explosions at the Christian convention of Jehovah's Witnesses resulted in two fatalities and injuries to two dozen attendees, with some in critical condition. The incident took place near Kochi, and preliminary investigations suggest that it was an IED blast. The first explosion occurred at around 9:30 a.m., just minutes after the prayer session had begun that day.

Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan expressed his condolences and stated that the police were treating the incident with utmost seriousness. Senior officials, including the state Director General of Police (DGP), have been dispatched to Kochi, and two of the injured individuals are in critical condition. The Chief Minister has convened an all-party meeting to address the situation.

Furthermore, Kerala's Health Minister, Veena George, provided updates on the injured individuals, indicating that 18 of them are in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), with six, including a 12-year-old child, in critical condition.

Witnesses present at the scene of the incident reported that the explosions occurred within the convention center during the morning prayer session, which began at 9:30 a.m. The three-day convention had commenced on the previous Friday and was scheduled to conclude that Sunday.

Senior police officials have been deployed to the location, and a heightened state of alert has been issued across Kerala. The convention center has been cordoned off, with access restricted to police and investigating agencies to gather essential evidence.

The DGP has urged the public to maintain peace and refrain from sharing provocative or hateful content on social media. Stringent action will be taken against those who engage in such activities.

The comments posted here are not from Cnews Live. Kindly refrain from using derogatory, personal, or obscene words in your comments.