Ranchi: The Jharkhand government has cancelled the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level examination after weeks of protests by students and government job aspirants in Ranchi. The decision, announced by Chief Minister Hemant Soren on August 17, came after 24 days of demonstrations and a prolonged hunger strike by student leaders demanding action over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.
The government has also taken a much wider step by cancelling all recruitment examinations and related activities conducted through TSR Data Processing Private Limited, commonly known as TDPL, since 2014. The decision covers examinations, published results and appointments linked to the agency. The government has ordered an investigation into the recruitment process and said the Crime Investigation Department will examine possible irregularities over the years.
The student movement had gained momentum in Ranchi as aspirants demanded greater transparency in government recruitment. Protesters alleged that irregularities in examination procedures had damaged their confidence in the recruitment system. They demanded that the government cancel the disputed examinations and conduct a detailed investigation into the allegations.
The protest continued for more than three weeks despite repeated efforts to address the concerns. Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto had been on hunger strike for 16 days before the government announced the cancellation. Other student leaders had also joined the hunger strike. Following the governments decision, the hunger strikes were brought to an end, but the wider protest has not completely stopped.
Students have welcomed the cancellation of the JSSC CGL examination, but they are still demanding a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation. They say they have lost confidence in investigations conducted by state agencies and want an independent central investigation into the alleged recruitment irregularities.
The government, however, has defended its decision to rely on the CID investigation. Hemant Soren said investigations by the CID and a special investigation team had brought several serious facts to light. He also said that the investigation had indicated possible links between different companies involved in recruitment activities in the state.
The Chief Minister has announced that the investigation will cover recruitment examinations conducted since 2014. This has expanded the issue from the JSSC CGL examination to a much larger examination and recruitment system. Officials are expected to examine records, examination procedures, results and appointments to determine whether irregularities took place and who may have been responsible.
The government has also announced the formation of an examination reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal. The committee will examine ways to improve the recruitment system and make examinations more transparent and reliable. Proposed reforms are expected to focus on stronger examination technology, better security, timely publication of answer keys and greater accountability in the recruitment process.
However, the cancellation has created a new problem for candidates who had already cleared the JSSC CGL examination. Around 2,000 successful candidates are now worried about their jobs and future. Some of them gathered in Ranchi and protested against the cancellation, arguing that genuine candidates should not be punished for alleged wrongdoing by others.
These candidates have questioned what crime they committed if they cleared the examination through their own efforts. Some have also indicated that they may explore legal options to protect their appointments. Their protest has created a new challenge for the government, which now has to balance the demand for a clean recruitment process with the concerns of candidates who say they legitimately earned their positions.
The political pressure surrounding the issue is also growing. Opposition leaders have supported the demand for an independent investigation and questioned why the government has not agreed to a CBI probe. The student protesters have warned that their movement could continue if their remaining demands are not addressed.
For Jharkhand, the controversy has now become much larger than the cancellation of a single examination. It has raised questions about the credibility of government recruitment, the protection of candidates and the need for stronger safeguards against examination irregularities.
The immediate demand from students has partly been accepted, but the dispute is far from over. The CID investigation, the future of the affected candidates and the demand for a CBI probe are likely to keep the recruitment controversy in focus in the coming days. The government will now face the difficult task of restoring confidence among students while ensuring that any genuine wrongdoing is properly investigated and those responsible are held accountable.