Houthis intensify attacks on Saudi Arabia as Red Sea tensions deepen

Houthis intensify attacks on Saudi Arabia as Red Sea tensions deepen

Sanaa: Tensions between Yemen’s Houthi movement and Saudi Arabia have entered a dangerous new phase, with the Iran aligned group stepping up attacks against Saudi interests and warning that the confrontation could widen further. What began as threats over Saudi policies toward Yemen has developed into attacks on energy facilities, shipping and military targets, raising fresh concerns about the stability of Yemen and the security of one of the world’s most important sea routes.

The latest escalation comes after the Houthis declared a maritime blockade against Saudi Arabia in July. The group said the action was intended to pressure Riyadh over what it describes as restrictions and military measures against areas of Yemen under Houthi control. Since then, the Houthis have claimed responsibility for attacks on vessels linked to Saudi Arabia and have increasingly focused their military activity on targets connected to the kingdom.

One of the most serious incidents involved the Saudi Aramco refinery in Jazan, close to the Yemeni border. The Houthis said they attacked the facility with drones. Saudi authorities confirmed that a fire had broken out at an Aramco facility in Jazan and that firefighting teams had extinguished it, although Saudi officials did not immediately confirm the Houthi claim that the facility had been deliberately targeted. The attack was significant because Jazan is an important energy centre on Saudi Arabia’s Red Sea coast.

The Houthis later claimed another drone attack against the Jazan refinery, saying the operation was carried out in response to what they described as Saudi violations of Yemeni territory and airspace. Saudi Arabia has not confirmed the Houthi account of the attack.

The confrontation has also moved into the Red Sea. On August 17, the Houthis said they had attacked a Saudi military landing ship and four escort vessels with missiles near the Yemeni port of Mocha. Saudi authorities had not immediately confirmed the claim. The location is particularly important because Mocha lies close to the Bab el Mandeb Strait, a narrow waterway connecting the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden and one of the major routes used by international shipping.

The increasing attacks are creating wider concerns for commercial shipping. Ships travelling through the Red Sea already face higher security risks, and some companies have changed their routes to avoid areas where Houthi attacks are possible. The disruption is also affecting energy trade. Saudi Arabia has been looking for alternative ways to move crude oil to international customers as regional maritime routes become more difficult to use.

The consequences are being felt far beyond Saudi Arabia and Yemen. Japan’s Idemitsu Kosan, for example, has begun sourcing Saudi crude through longer routes involving the Suez Canal and the Cape of Good Hope because of disruption around the Bab el Mandeb. The alternative routes can increase transportation times from around 20 days to as much as 50 or 60 days, adding to costs and logistical pressure.

The situation is also raising fears that Yemen could return to a much larger civil war. Fighting between the Houthis and forces supporting Yemen’s internationally recognised government has increased after years of relative calm following the 2022 truce. Recent attacks around the Red Sea port of Mocha have caused deaths and injuries, adding to concerns that the fragile period of reduced fighting may be ending.

Saudi Arabia is also strengthening its position as the regional security situation becomes more complicated. Riyadh has been working with regional partners while facing threats linked to the wider conflict involving Iran and its allies. This means that another major Houthi attack could have consequences beyond the Yemen conflict and could draw additional countries and military forces into the confrontation.

For ordinary people in Yemen, however, the greatest concern remains the possibility of another prolonged war. Yemen has already experienced years of conflict, displacement, hunger and economic hardship. A new escalation could make humanitarian conditions even worse, particularly in areas where access to food, fuel and medical services is already limited.

The growing threat also matters to the global economy. The Red Sea and Bab el Mandeb are vital routes between Europe, Asia and the Middle East. Continued attacks could force more ships to take longer routes around Africa, increasing fuel consumption, insurance costs and delivery times. Oil markets could also become more sensitive to developments if attacks begin affecting major energy facilities or export routes.

The latest developments therefore suggest that the Houthi warning to Saudi Arabia should not be treated as an isolated political threat. The group has already demonstrated its willingness to target Saudi linked energy and maritime interests. Saudi Arabia, meanwhile, faces the difficult task of protecting its territory and economic infrastructure without triggering a much wider conflict.

The coming weeks will be critical. If attacks continue and Saudi Arabia responds with stronger military action, the confrontation could move from a limited campaign into a broader regional conflict. If diplomatic channels remain open, there may still be an opportunity to prevent that outcome.

For now, however, the attacks on Saudi facilities and vessels show that tensions between the Houthis and Saudi Arabia have entered a far more dangerous period, with Yemen, the Red Sea and international shipping all facing growing risks.


Follow the CNewsLive English Readers channel on WhatsApp:
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz4fX77oQhU1lSymM1w

The comments posted here are not from Cnews Live. Kindly refrain from using derogatory, personal, or obscene words in your comments.