Death toll in Thailand floods rises to 162 as rescue efforts continue

Death toll in Thailand floods rises to 162 as rescue efforts continue

Bangkok: The death toll from severe flooding in southern Thailand has climbed to 162, officials said on Saturday, as rescue teams continue to search devastated communities and provide emergency support to thousands affected.

Heavy rainfall earlier this week triggered sudden flooding across several southern provinces, with the city of Hat Yai among the hardest hit. Authorities said the city experienced an unusually high amount of rain in a single day, overwhelming drainage systems and causing water levels to rise rapidly.

Government spokesperson Siripong Angkasakulkiat said emergency responders are still working to reach affected villages that remain cut off by floodwaters. He warned that the number of victims may rise as more areas become accessible.

Many families have been displaced, and temporary shelters have been set up in public buildings and schools. Rescue teams shared stories of survival, including one family who spent nearly two days standing on furniture inside their flooded home before help arrived.

“People are shocked. They could not imagine water rising so fast,” said a relief volunteer from Songkhla province. “Many have lost their homes and belongings.”

The disaster is part of a larger weather emergency across Southeast Asia, where heavy rains and storms have caused landslides and flash floods in several countries. Regional reports suggest that the combined death toll from the wider disaster may exceed 300.

Officials in Thailand have urged residents in low lying areas to stay alert, as more rain is possible in the coming days. The government has deployed military personnel, boats and helicopters to assist with evacuations and supply distribution.

Environmental experts say changing weather patterns and rising temperatures in the region may be increasing the intensity of storms and rainfall, putting communities at higher risk.

As waters slowly begin to recede, authorities say the immediate priorities are medical care, shelter, food and restoring access to damaged roads. Longer term recovery, including rebuilding homes and restoring essential services, is expected to take months.

Rescue teams and local authorities have asked communities to remain patient and cooperate with ongoing operations.

“The situation is improving but the work is far from over,” said Siripong. “We are doing everything possible to support those affected and prevent further loss.”


Follow the CNewsLive English Readers channel on WhatsApp:
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz4fX77oQhU1lSymM1w

The comments posted here are not from Cnews Live. Kindly refrain from using derogatory, personal, or obscene words in your comments.