Erbil: Gas operations have restarted at the Khor Mor field in northern Iraq after a recent attack forced a temporary shutdown and cut power supplies to parts of the Kurdistan region. The Kurdistan Regional Government said gas transmission to power stations resumed early Sunday after safety checks and repairs.
The field, operated by a consortium led by Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, is one of the main sources of fuel for electricity generation in the region. The shutdown earlier this week happened after a rocket strike damaged a storage tank at the site. No group has claimed responsibility so far.
The temporary halt in production caused power shortages in several cities across the region. Officials said restoring the gas flow will help stabilise electricity supply, although output may increase gradually rather than immediately returning to full capacity.
Reports also suggest the operator has asked authorities for stronger security guarantees before fully resuming all production activities. Repeated drone and rocket attacks in recent months have raised concerns about the safety of energy infrastructure in northern Iraq and may affect future investment plans.
Despite reopening, uncertainty remains around whether full operations will continue without further disruption. The Khor Mor field is a key asset in Iraqs energy network, and any future attack could again affect electricity availability for hundreds of thousands of people.
Authorities say security forces are continuing investigations into the latest attack.