Washington: The United States and Iran are continuing tense diplomatic discussions as both sides try to avoid another military confrontation in the Middle East following weeks of conflict and uncertainty.
Iran confirmed on Thursday that it is carefully reviewing the latest response from Washington regarding proposals aimed at reducing tensions and restarting broader negotiations. At the same time, US President Donald Trump said he is willing to wait a few more days for Iran’s final answer, raising hopes that diplomacy may still prevent another escalation.
The latest developments come after months of growing hostility between the two countries. Earlier this year, military strikes and retaliatory attacks involving Iran, Israel, and the United States pushed the region dangerously close to a wider war. Although a ceasefire has held for several weeks, major disagreements continue over Iran’s nuclear activities, economic sanctions, and security issues in the Gulf region.
According to reports from Reuters and regional media, Pakistan has stepped forward as an important mediator in the negotiations. Pakistan’s Army Chief General Asim Munir is expected to visit Tehran soon as Islamabad works to help both sides reach a compromise. Diplomatic sources say Pakistan has been carrying proposals and messages between Washington and Tehran in recent weeks.
One of the biggest points of disagreement remains Iran’s stockpile of enriched uranium. American officials want Iran to reduce or move large quantities of highly enriched uranium outside the country as part of any future agreement. Iran has strongly rejected that demand.
Iranian leaders insist that the country has the right to continue peaceful nuclear activities and say the uranium is needed for civilian purposes including energy and medical research. Iranian officials also argue that giving up the stockpile would weaken the country’s security after recent attacks on its nuclear facilities.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei has reportedly instructed officials not to transfer the enriched uranium outside the country. This position has complicated negotiations and increased concerns in Washington and among Western allies.
President Trump, while speaking to reporters this week, said the United States still prefers diplomacy but warned that military action could resume quickly if talks fail. He said Washington is watching Tehran’s response closely and added that the next few days could become very important for the future of the region.
Vice President JD Vance also suggested that there has been some progress in recent discussions. However, officials on both sides continue to express deep mistrust toward one another. Iran remains angry over recent airstrikes on its facilities, while the United States says it cannot allow Iran to move closer to developing nuclear weapons.
The situation has also created economic concerns around the world. The Strait of Hormuz, a narrow waterway used for transporting a large share of the world’s oil, remains under heavy international attention. Any disruption in the area could affect global fuel supplies and increase energy prices further.
Oil markets have already reacted nervously to the crisis. Global crude prices have risen sharply in recent days as investors fear that renewed fighting could damage shipping routes and energy infrastructure in the Gulf region.
Military officials in Washington continue to monitor developments closely. The head of US Central Command recently told lawmakers that the United States needs stronger bunker busting weapons because countries such as Iran are increasingly placing strategic military and nuclear facilities deep underground.
International observers believe the coming days may decide whether the current negotiations move toward a larger peace agreement or collapse into another dangerous confrontation. Diplomats from several countries are continuing efforts behind the scenes to keep communication open between Washington and Tehran as fears of another regional conflict remain high.